- Is the Federal Reserve really tightening? So far, not so much.
- A Greek-Italian restaurant can tell you a lot about real world inflation
- Confused by TIPS prices? Here’s a walk-through.
- New 10-year TIPS gets real yield of 0.630% at auction, a nice result for investors
- This week’s 10-year TIPS auction has ‘potential’
- Social Security COLA looks likely to rise about 10% for 2023
- June inflation hits new highs: 1.3% for the month, 9.1% year over year
- A 10-year TIPS is maturing Friday. How did it do as an investment?
- Looking to put cash to work? Consider short-term Treasury bills
- Are TIPS broken?
TipsWatch on TwitterMy Tweets
Monthly Archives: January 2017
Summary TIPS yields rose Wednesday after Fed Chair Yellen signaled more interest rate increases are coming. Investors at today’s auction got a boost in yield, the highest in a year. The 10-year inflation breakeven rate hit 2.044%, signaling that TIPS … Continue reading
Summary News is not good for I Bond investors: Inflation is flat over first three months of rate-setting period. Year-over-year ‘headline’ inflation broke through the 2.0% barrier for the first time since June 2014. Core inflation rose 2.2% in 2016, … Continue reading
Summary A week away, the yield to maturity is estimated at 0.39%, not awful but also not really attractive. The inflation breakeven rate of 1.99% indicates TIPS are no longer ‘cheap’ versus nominal Treasurys. Looking ahead: 5 more auctions of … Continue reading
Summary Advice: Do nothing for three months. The current 2.76% variable rate is at risk, but the current fixed rate of 0.0% is too low. It’s a waiting game: Watch the variable rate trend and hope for a higher fixed … Continue reading
Summary TIPS yields started and ended the year at relatively high levels, but dipped at midyear. TIPS outperformed the overall bond market as inflation expectations rose, increasing demand for TIPS and softening increases in yield. Are today’s higher yields a … Continue reading