I posted the Treasury’s breaking news this morning at SeekingAlpha.com. Here is the summary:

• I Bonds purchased from May to October will pay a composite rate of 0.26%.
  • EE Bonds held for 20 years will still double in value and pay an effective interest rate of 3.5%.
  • I Bond investors will get another shot with November’s rate reset.

I think this is pretty good news for investors in I Bonds and EE Bonds. The Treasury didn’t scale back on the terms of either bond.

Read my analysis at SeekingAlpha.com

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Investing in TIPS. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Treasury maintains I Bond’s fixed rate at 0.1%; value Of EE Bonds will still double in 20 years

1. Silver_Stacker says:

I know they have to have smart people working for them, but why wouldn’t they revamp these bonds, have a competitive interest rate, and rack in the money for current US government operations, which are their very point?

• tipswatch says:

Given the ultra-low interest available on other guaranteed safe investments, both of these bonds remain competitive. The return is poor, and since the return is so low, I prefer I Bonds for their protection against future inflation. I’d argue that an I Bond paying 0.1%, plus inflation, is MUCH more attractive than a 10-year TIPS paying 0.2%, given the tax deferral and flexible maturity date.

• Silver_Stacker says:

I hear you, but I’d think the government would be in the market of giving a favorable rate to boost “investment” in America. Go above market rates to rack it in. Give inflation protection, AND give the citizens a extra incentive to lock up cash.

But, I’m not in this field, so I know I’m really just talking. Love these articles, tips.

2. STEVEN says:

What I’d like to see the Treasury do is put the limits back up to $30k from $10k per SSN. There really is no reason now that other than via tax returns everything is electronic.

• Silver_Stacker says:

What is the rationale for limiting the bonds though in any way?

• tipswatch says:

I agree $30,000 a year would actually be a very clever move by the Treasury. Because with rates this low, they get the advantage. I’m not sure I would go $30,000 a year at this fixed rate, but let’s have the option.